Fear, Hope, Accountability and a Little Red Walker



Fear appears to be the most common guiding principle of our lives.  The media, advertisers, politicians, teachers, our parents use fear to guide us, to subjugate us into action.  We rule our lives by the fear of the un-known, the fear of what we think will come next.  The fear. 

My wife reminds me that fear attaches us to the outcome of fear.  Attach yourself to fear and what you fear will come.  My greatest fear was being 50 and out of work.  Welcome to fear.  I should fear winning the lottery.  I fear winning the $250MM lottery!  I fear winning it so badly I can taste it…! OK – so maybe that fear is hope.  But hope isn’t a strategy.  Hope is attached to a plan that we work toward and strive to achieve in our lives.  Hope is what you have when you’ve decided to enact a change and have a plan to reach an objective.  You can hope your plan succeeds but you still need to drive the process to make sure it’s obtained.

I discontinued using the word “HOPE” at work.  At work when talking to sales leadership you’d hear, “I hope we’ll reach the sales goal…”  Only having hope means that you no longer feel you have control over the situation.  Go ahead and push the poker chips forward, we’re all-in.  Hope we win.  Is it chance or effort? Define the effort.  I also replaced the words “waiting for…” from my work vocabulary.  At home it’s OK.  Like I’m waiting for my Chinese food to be delivered.  What?  I’m not going to go and cook it myself and then deliver it to my home.  You have to wait for that kind of stuff.  Call it in, line up behind all of the other callers, be patient and then tip generously when it arrives. When working with the cross functional groups within my previous organization I’d hear them say “I’m waiting for regulatory to sign off…” or “We’re just waiting for the supplier to ship the components”  “Waiting for” means that you are no longer working toward a goal and you are waiting for someone else to do something about it. You’ve given up any pain of failure and transferred the issue/pain to someone else.  You’ve left your responsibility and accountability behind.  It should hurt when goals are not accomplished.  It should hurt when you wait for things to happen but they don’t.  When it’s OK to linger and not move forward you train yourself to be a passive victim in the world.   It’s OK.  It wasn’t your fault.  You’re not accountable.  A better response to “waiting on the supplier” would be “Dave from purchasing is living on the production floor of our supplier ensuring that at least 5 units are shipped today.”  Someone was working to make sure that the goal happened.  Thanks Dave, like OB1 you are our only hope.  You’re the one making sure the plan is executed.  Could you do something about the Chinese food delivery?  It’s been like 45 minutes.  Seems like a long time.  I mean, I’m just saying…

My 85 year-old Father fell down a few moths ago.  It wasn’t a bad fall.  Stumbled at the corner on the way to his car and face planted into the grass sort of fall.  He refused to take any accountability for his active participation in the actual fall.  I know that sounds crazy, maybe cruel but give me a moment and consider his response, “There was a rock and it was dark.  It wasn’t my fault.” Snap back to reality (Thanks M&M/8 Mile…you get it, right?) How about the fact that the doctor prescribed a walker for you because you have issues with balance and you are horrible with cane skills?  In fact, you have no cane skills.  You almost trip on your actual cane.  Dad, you are an accident waiting to happen.  It is not IF but WHEN you will fall again.  You refuse to use the walker because you consider it a sign of weakness, an inability to be active.  You also have a tendency to walk with your hands in your pockets, all the while leaning forward shuffling your feet.  There is a bigger story about a great fall that my Dad did have down stadium stairs that was a major injury, hospitalization, shoulder replacement and months of recovery.  We’ll cover that later perhaps.  In this instance, my dad is fine, small scratch on his nose and his ego.  However, it’s another lesson in how we all need to take some ownership of how we’ve gotten to where we are in any given situation.  What is your role in the problem you’re sitting in?  Own the issue and your role in where you are, solve the problem and then move on.  Take your hands out of your pockets, grab your walker by the handles, lift up your feet and start walking, head held high.  In my case I refused the relocation and decided to make a career change.  I own the problem, the process as well as where it leads me.

What was your role in where you are today?  What decision did you make that lead you here?  Now that you’ve taken ownership – what can you do to move on and change it?  I know, I ask a lot of questions.  I ask really good questions.  Great questions.

BTW – Dad has embraced the walker.  He figured out that he could walk faster if he had the walker to steady himself versus Mr. Cane McTripmyself.  I’ve dubbed the new bright red walker the Porsche Budster.  Thanks Dad for a new lesson – know your limitations, embrace them and then find a solution.  Well technically your son bought you the solution and used guilt to convince you into using it but I’ll give you props for finally taking the initiative and using the walker.  He walks 2 miles a day behind the walker.  Go Dad.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Give Up

What to do when you're fired at 50